"Perhaps there can be too much making of cups of tea, I thought, as I watched Miss Statham filling the heavy teapot. We had all had our supper, or were supposed to have had it, and were met together to discuss the arrangements for the Christmas bazaar. Did we really need a cup of tea? I even said as much to Miss Statham and she looked at me with a hurt, almost angry look, 'Do we need tea?' she echoed. 'But Miss Lathbury...' She sounded puzzled and distressed and I began to realize that my question had struck at something deep and fundamental. It was the kind of question that starts a landslide in the mind."

- "Excellent Women", Barbara Pym

3 comments:

  1. How very British, I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, isn't it wonderful? "the kind of question that starts a landslide in the mind"....

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'something deep and fundemental' - it could have been a scandinavian talking about her coffee.

    ReplyDelete