Far from wanting to posses you in linking myself to you, I preserve a 'to', a safeguard of the in-direction between us – I Love to You, and not: I love you. This 'to' safeguards a place of transcendence between us, a place of respect which is both obligated and desired, a place of possible alliance.

For Irigaray the potential of the insertion of the word 'to' into the phrase 'I love you' making 'I love to you' suggest a new social order of relations between two, were both 'I' and 'you' are related as different subjects, rather than as subject and object. Prepositions possess a strong suggestive role, allowing us to think more specifically about how we construct and can change relationships between subjects and objects, and between people, places and things. As philosopher Michel Serres has observed, for such small words, prepositions have the potential to change everything around them.


Luce Irigaray and Jane Rendell in Jane Rendell (2010), Art and Architecture. A place between. pp. 150-151





2 comments: